prep time: 3 minutes (not including time to brew coffee or whip cream) cook time: 10 minutes Yield: 1 serving
When I was in high school, I worked at the cutest coffee shop called Uncommon Ground. I loved that job. I often dream about opening my own little coffee shop someday. If I did, this latte would for sure be on my menu!
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (or butter-flavored coconut oil if dairy-free)
- 1¼ cups unsweetened cashew milk (or hemp milk if nut-free)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, plus extra for garnish (optional)
- 2 tablespoons Swerve confectioners’-style sweetener or equivalent amount of liquid or powdered sweetener
- 3 tablespoons hot brewed decaf espresso or other strong brewed decaf coffee Whipped cream, for garnish (optional)
special equipment (optional)
- Place the butter in a saucepan over high heat, stirring, until the butter froths and brown flecks begin to appear about 5 minutes; this is browned butter. If using butter-flavored coconut oil, heat the oil just until melted.
- Reduce the heat to medium and slowly whisk in the cashew milk; it will sizzle as you add it to the browned butter. Heat until warmed through. (At Uncommon Ground, we heated it to between 145°F and 165°F.) Stir in the cocoa powder and sweetener. If desired, insert an immersion blender and blend until the mixture resembles a frothy latte, about 1 minute.
- Pour the espresso into a large mug. Add the hot milk mixture and stir well. Serve immediately, garnished with whipped cream and a sprinkle of unsweetened cocoa powder, if desired.