prep time: 10 minutes cook time: 20 minutes yield: 6 servings
When I was in high school, I worked at a restaurant called High View, which was on an adorable fishing lake. We always served clam chowder on Friday nights. I still love clam chowder, so I made ketogenic clam chowder with browned butter and bacon!
- 4 strips bacon, chopped
- ¼ cup (½ stick) unsalted butter (or butter-flavored coconut oil if dairy-free)
- 2 cups cauliflower florets, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ cup minced onions
- ½ cup diced celery
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese (Kite Hill brand cream cheese style spread if dairy-free), softened
- 2 cups chicken bone broth, homemade or store-bought, divided
- 3 (6½-ounce) cans minced clams, with juices
- 1½ teaspoons fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, fry the bacon until crisp, about 4 minutes. Set the skillet aside.
- Place the butter in a large pot over medium-high heat, whisking, until the butter froths and brown (but not black!) flecks appear, about 6 minutes. Reduce the heat to low. Add the cauliflower, onions, and celery to the browned butter and sauté for 2 minutes. Add the cream cheese and ¼ cup of the broth and whisk until well combined.
- Add the rest of the broth to the pot and cook over medium heat until the veggies are tender about 7 minutes. Do not allow the soup to boil. Stir in the clams with the juices just before serving. If they cook too long, they will get tough. Season with the salt and pepper and serve.
- Store extras in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in a saucepan over medium heat for a few minutes or until warmed through.