prep time: 2 minutes (not including time to whip cream) yield: 1 serving
Working at a coffee shop in high school was my favorite job (besides this job of writing cookbooks!). I adored getting up early; making muffins, scones, and lattes; and listening to good music while busy customers ran in before work. I always wanted to open my own keto bakery and coffee shop, and if I ever do, this Italian Cream Soda will certainly be on my menu!
Note: If you are looking to lose weight, I do not recommend drinking your calories, but ketosis is about more than just weight loss. If you are in “maintenance mode” or are trying to gain weight and muscle, this drink would be a great treat!
- Large ice cubes
- cup sparkling mineral water or club soda
- tablespoons Swerve confectioners’-style sweetener or equivalent amount of liquid or powdered sweetener, or ¼ teaspoon flavored liquid stevia of choice
- 1 teaspoon strawberry extract or other extracts of choice, or a few drops of strawberry oil
- tablespoon heavy cream (or full-fat coconut milk if dairy-free)
- tablespoons sweetened whipped cream, for garnish (see tip; omit for dairy-free)
- Place the ice cubes in a tall glass. Pour in the sparkling mineral water. Stir in the sweetener and extract and adjust the sweetness to your liking.
- Pour the heavy cream into the glass. Do not stir so you can watch the legs of the cream seep down into the drink. Top with the sweetened whipped cream and enjoy. This drink is best served fresh; it will lose its fizz if left overnight.
busy family tip: I keep heavy cream in a whipped cream canister in my fridge at all times for easy additions to treats like this. I put 2 cups of cream and 2 tablespoons of powdered sweetener or a ¼ teaspoon of liquid stevia in the canister and shake well to combine. Then it’s presweetened and ready to go whenever I need it!
note: To give this cream soda a pretty pink color, I added a few drops of natural red food dye. I also used Stur Strawberry Melon–flavored liquid water enhancer, which not only enhances the strawberry flavor but also gives the drink a pretty shade of pink.